Beef 'n' Bean Braid
Rise: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1 1/4-ounce package(s) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup(s) warm water (110Â° to 115Â°)
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 pound(s) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic salt
- 1 16-ounce can(s) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- • In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- • Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- • Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic salt over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- • Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking sheet. Spread beef mixture down center of dough; sprinkle with cheese. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 1/2 in. from filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30 minutes.
- • Brush egg over dough. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note