Beef and Mushroom Stew
More From Oxmoor House
2 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 31g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 280mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) sliced carrot (4 carrots)
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) diagonally sliced celery (4 stalks)
- 1 cup spicy vegetable juice
- 1 cup fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 red bliss potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°.
- 2. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Add half of beef; seal bag, and shake until beef is evenly coated. Remove beef from bag, shaking off excess flour mixture, and place on large plate. Repeat procedure with remaining beef and flour mixture.
- 3. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of beef; cook 3 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and beef, leaving beef in pan.
- 4. Return first half of beef to pan. Add carrot and remaining ingredients, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- 5. Cover and bake at 300° for 2 hours and 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note