Southern Living DECEMBER 2009
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare egg noodles according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle ground beef with 1 1/4 tsp. salt and Italian seasoning. Cook beef in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink.
3. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes; stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 8 minutes.
4. Microwave cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 20 seconds. Stir in sour cream and green onions. Stir cream cheese mixture into hot cooked noodles.
5. Place noodle mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture; sprinkle with shredded Italian cheese.
6. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Note: To lighten, substitute low-fat or fat-free sour cream and 2% reduced-fat cheese.
For an easy side, whisk together 1/2 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette dressing, 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, and 1 Tbsp. honey until blended. Serve over mixed greens.
Go to full version of