- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into (1-inch) cubes
- 4 cups thinly sliced leek (about 4)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped celery, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 493
- caloriesfromfat 38 %
- fat 20.8 g
- satfat 7.2 g
- monofat 8.1 g
- polyfat 2.3 g
- protein 28.3 g
- carbohydrate 46.3 g
- fiber 4.9 g
- cholesterol 70 mg
- iron 5.1 mg
- sodium 587 mg
- calcium 77 mg
How to Make It
To prepare crust, lightly spoon 1 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1 1/4 cups flour, chives, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle ice water over flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly. Press mixture gently into a disk, and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill dough 30 minutes.
To prepare filling, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; sauté 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add leek to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3/4 cup carrot, 1/2 cup celery, and garlic; saute 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Return beef to pan; add rosemary and thyme. Sauté 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 1/2 cups beef broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Combine remaining 3/4 cup broth and 3 tablespoons flour, stirring until smooth; set aside.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Stir in remaining 3/4 cup carrot, remaining 1/2 cup celery, and potato. Cook, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in peas. Add flour mixture, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to beef mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer mixture to an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Roll dough out into an 8 x 12–inch rectangle. Place dough over beef mixture, pressing edges to seal. Cut 5 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until crust is browned.