Beef And Ham Gumbo
- 3/4 pound chopped, cooked ham
- 1 pound lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart sliced okra
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Sauté meat in a large Dutch oven until browned. Stir in onion, green pepper, celery, and parsley; cook until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and water; mix well, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add okra, bay leaf, and seasonings to Dutch oven, stirring well. Simmer, uncovered, an additional 1 1/2 hours or until okra is tender and gumbo has thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Ladle gumbo over hot cooked rice in individual serving bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This