1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Trim meat of extra fat and gristle and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt, several grinds black pepper and cayenne. Sprinkle over meat and toss well.
2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Brown meat in 2 batches on all sides. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions, crushed garlic and tomato sauce to pan; cover and cook gently 5 minutes.
3. Add Guinness to pan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on bottom of pan. Add carrots, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well. Cover and place on center oven rack; bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is very tender. Taste and correct seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.
Slow Cooker preparation:
* Drain meat on paper towels after browning.
* If you want more texture for vegetables let stew cook for 1 hour before adding vegetables.
* Cook on low for 8 hours
Go to full version of