Beef & Guinness Stew
Community Recipe from
- 2 pound(s) lean stewing beef cut to size as desired
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil divided
- 2 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup(s) tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Guinness beer
- 3 carrots medium, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 sprig(s) fresh thyme
- parsley chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees (if not using slow cooker). Trim meat of extra fat and gristle and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt, several grinds black pepper and cayenne. Sprinkle over meat and toss well.
- 2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Brown meat in 2 batches on all sides. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions, crushed garlic and tomato sauce to pan; cover and cook gently 5 minutes.
- 3. Add Guinness to pan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on bottom of pan. Add carrots, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well. Cover and place on center oven rack; bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is very tender. Taste and correct seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.
- Slow Cooker preparation:
- * Drain meat on paper towels after browning.
- * If you want more texture for vegetables let stew cook for 1 hour before adding vegetables.
- * Cook on low for 8 hours
This recipe is a personal recipe added by wasoccermom and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note