Beef & Guinness Stew
From "Irish Traditional Cooking" by Darina Allen. Can also be prepared in slow cooker.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 pound(s) lean stewing beef cut to size as desired
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil divided
- 2 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup(s) tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Guinness beer
- 3 carro medium, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 sprig(s) fresh thyme
- parsley chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Trim meat of extra fat and gristle and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt, several grinds black pepper and cayenne. Sprinkle over meat and toss well.
- 2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Brown meat in 2 batches on all sides. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions, crushed garlic and tomato sauce to pan; cover and cook gently 5 minutes.
- 3. Add Guinness to pan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on bottom of pan. Add carrots, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well. Cover and place on center oven rack; bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is very tender. Taste and correct seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.
- Slow Cooker preparation:
- * Drain meat on paper towels after browning.
- * If you want more texture for vegetables let stew cook for 1 hour before adding vegetables.
- * Cook on low for 8 hours
This recipe is a personal recipe added by wasoccermom and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note