Thanks for the reviews - this was EXCELLENT! The only thing I added was fresh mushrooms about 30 minutes prior to it being done. Will definitely make this again and again. Great with a sprinkling of cayenne.
Hungary's national dish is a beef stew flavored with paprika and caraway seeds. As one reader said, "This dish was fabulous! So close to authentic that my husband said it reminded him of the cafe in Budapest where we recently had it."
Browning the meat first yields the most flavorful result. You can also serve over egg noodles.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 242
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 24.2g
- Carbohydrate: 22.4g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 517mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chopped onion (about 2 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato (about 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Dredge beef in flour; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in paprika and vinegar; cook for 2 minutes. Return beef to pan. Add the tomato, caraway seeds, and bay leaves; cook 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup water, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes. Add potato; cover and cook 1 hour and 15 minutes or until very tender. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and juice. Discard bay leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note