- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 pound ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Sweet Potato Pastry
- Vegetable oil
- Press tomatoes through a sieve. Set tomato purée aside.
- Sauté onion in butter in a heavy skillet over low heat until tender. Add meat, salt, pepper, and bay leaf; cook over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain off pan drippings. Add tomato purée to meat mixture; cook, uncovered, over low heat 35 minutes, Remove from heat, and discard bay leaf.
- Roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a sheet of plastic wrap; cut with a 3 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place 1 teaspoon meat mixture in center of each circle. Moisten edges of pastry with water. Fold pastry in half. Press edges together with fork tines to seal. Place turnovers on a baking sheet; cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375° in a large skillet. Cook several turnovers at a time 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain turnovers on paper towels. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes