Beef Daube with Shallots and Dried Porcini
An earthy, southern French-style stew is the perfect main course to match a gamut of red blends of southern French grapes. Serve it over hot buttered noodles, garnished with fresh thyme.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 377
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 41g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 633mg
- Cholesterol: 128mg
- 4 pounds boned beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-in. chunks, rinsed and dried
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 long, thin orange peel strips plus 2 tbsp. grated peel
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (750 ml.) dry red wine
- About 2 cups beef broth
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- Olive oil (if needed)
- 1 pound shallots, peeled
- 1. Mix beef, thyme, orange peel strips, salt, pepper, and wine in a bowl. Cover and chill, stirring occasionally, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. Bring 2 cups beef broth to a boil and pour over porcini in a bowl. Let stand until mushrooms are soft, about 20 minutes. Lift mushrooms out and coarsely chop. Reserve soaking liquid.
- 3. Meanwhile, pour beef and marinade into a strainer set over a bowl. Discard thyme sprigs and orange peel strips; reserve marinade. Dry beef on paper towels.
- 4. Cook pancetta in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring often, until browned and crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon. Add beef in batches and cook, turning pieces, until well browned all over, 7 to 8 minutes per batch. If you need more fat in the pot, add oil between batches. Transfer beef to a large bowl as browned. Add shallots to pot and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to another bowl.
- 5. Return pancetta and beef to pot and add reserved marinade, mushroom-soaking liquid (pour in carefully, leaving sediment behind), and mushrooms. Liquid should just cover meat; add a little more broth if necessary. Cover and simmer, gently stirring occasionally, about 2 hours. Add the shallots and grated orange peel and continue simmering, uncovered, until beef is very tender when pierced, about 30 minutes longer.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving
Total time includes 4 hours marinating time.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes