This recipe is outstanding. I prepared it as described, exactly, with no changes. After browning the meat I used the slow cooker 5 hour method. The depth of flavor and complexity in taste derived from this preparation was so rich. The slow cooker allowed time for me to prepare the rest of my meal with ease. I made individual thyme Yorkshire pudding, they puff up beautifully that way and act as a bowl to place the Beef Daube. I also served this along with Gratin Dauphinois and plenty of Bordeaux to drink. As my Thanksgiving guests arrived that Wednesday they all raved and wanted more. There were no leftovers. This was such a hit on a cold night. I recommend this recipe highly.
Beef Daube Provençal
This classic French braised beef, red wine, and vegetable stew is simple and delicious. This recipe ran in a Thanksgiving weekend package. The stew was perfect for that Wednesday night before Thanksgiving when you have guests arriving, but still need to focus on prepping food for the next day. This perfectly balanced dish found its way into our regular rotation.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 3 Hours, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 367
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 29.1g
- Carbohydrate: 33.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 678mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cooked medium egg noodles (about 4 cups uncooked noodles)
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°.
- 2. Heat a small Dutch oven over low heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic; cook 5 minutes or until garlic is fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef to pan; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Add wine to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add reserved garlic, beef, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, carrot, and next 8 ingredients (through bay leaf), and bring to a boil.
- 3. Cover and bake at 300° for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve over noodles.
- Note: To make in a slow cooker, prepare through Step 2. Place beef mixture in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or until beef is tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note