I don't know what happened, but this just tasted like pot roast to me. Very confusing - the toasted spices smelled SO AMAZING and obviously there are lots of complex flavors involved. Maybe I overcooked it? In the end I just kept dumping garam masala and fresh cilantro and even minced jalapenos in the mix, hoping to perk it up a bit. Alas.
Beef Curry with Toasted Spices
You can also prepare this recipe with cubed leg of lamb. Fenugreek seed is a common spice in Indian food. Find it at an ethnic grocery such as World Market, or order online at www.americanspice.com.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 262
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 27.6g
- Carbohydrate: 12.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 440mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Toasted spices:
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick, broken
- 2 dried hot red chiles
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 cups vertically sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro stems
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- To prepare beef, combine first 3 ingredients; rub evenly over beef. Cover and chill 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
- To prepare toasted spices, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add coriander and next 6 ingredients (coriander through bay leaves); cook 1 minute or until fragrant, shaking pan constantly. Place coriander mixture, sugar, cardamom, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a spice or coffee grinder, and process until finely ground.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of beef mixture; sauté 5 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and beef mixture; remove from pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and ginger to pan; cook 6 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add the toasted spice mixture, garlic, and paprika; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beef, yogurt, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the beef is tender.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note