- 1 pound soup bones
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/42-inch cubes and divided
- 3 pounds veal knuckles
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Remove 2 tablespoons marrow from soup bones; set bones aside. Combine marrow and 1 1/2 pounds stew meat in a large skillet; cook over medium heat until meat is browned.
- Combine reserved bones, browned meat mixture, remaining stew meat, veal knuckles, and water in a large stock pot. Let stand 30 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 hours.
- Add chicken broth; cover and simmer an additional 2 hours. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Strain through a colander into a large stock pot, reserving meat for other uses. Discard bones. Cover and refrigerate consommé overnight; skim off and discard congealed fat that has risen to the surface.
- Place consommé over medium heat; add onion, carrot, turnip, celery, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves, marjoram, parsley sprigs, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Strain through several layers of damp cheesecloth into a Dutch oven, discarding vegetables and spices. Clarify consommé according to procedure.
- Serve consommé warm or chilled as an appetizer. Garnish each serving with chopped parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note