- 1 pound soup bones
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/42-inch cubes and divided
- 3 pounds veal knuckles
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Remove 2 tablespoons marrow from soup bones; set bones aside. Combine marrow and 1 1/2 pounds stew meat in a large skillet; cook over medium heat until meat is browned.
- Combine reserved bones, browned meat mixture, remaining stew meat, veal knuckles, and water in a large stock pot. Let stand 30 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 hours.
- Add chicken broth; cover and simmer an additional 2 hours. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Strain through a colander into a large stock pot, reserving meat for other uses. Discard bones. Cover and refrigerate consommé overnight; skim off and discard congealed fat that has risen to the surface.
- Place consommé over medium heat; add onion, carrot, turnip, celery, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves, marjoram, parsley sprigs, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Strain through several layers of damp cheesecloth into a Dutch oven, discarding vegetables and spices. Clarify consommé according to procedure.
- Serve consommé warm or chilled as an appetizer. Garnish each serving with chopped parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews