Beef Chuck Eye Roast with Paprika-Herb Rub
Photo: John Kernick
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 chuck eye roast
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, mix the bay leaves, pepper, thyme, paprika and cumin. Drizzle the roast generously with olive oil and season with salt. Rub the garlic and spice mixture over the roast and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Using butcher's twine, tie the roast to give it a uniform shape. In an ovenproof skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the roast and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned all over, 12 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the upper third of the oven and roast the meat for 1 hour, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 130°. Transfer the roast to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Discard the twine. Using a thin, sharp knife, thinly slice the beef across the grain and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note