Great tamale type pie. I thought it would be too tomatey with 2 cans of tomatoes and tomatoe paste, but it wasn't at all. Good flavor and great cornbread crust, it browned and cooked through perfectly. The only changes I made were to cut back a little on the fat; used half the oil and did not add cheese to the cornbread crust, but did add 2 tsp. sugar to it. Served with CL Jalapeno-Lime Cole Slaw; great meal.
Cornbread-topped Beef and Chorizo Pot Pie
Cornbread-topped Beef and Chorizo Pot Pie is reminiscent of a tamale pie. This hearty pot pie is topped with a cheesy cornbread topping.
More From Coastal Living
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1-pound) boneless chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Cornbread Topping
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle beef with 2 tablespoons spice mixture.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add half of beef and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until well browned. Transfer beef to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef.
- 3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to Dutch oven. Crumble chorizo, and cook 5 minutes or until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Stir in remaining spice mixture. Add broth and beef, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- 4. Stir in tomatoes, black beans, bell pepper, and tomato paste, and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until chili is slightly thickened and bell pepper is tender.
- 5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Transfer chili to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon Cornbread Topping over chili, and place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until topping is browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note