I changed up the beans with pintos, as I don't care for kidneys. Outstanding!
Beef Chili Bake
Photo: Kate Sears, Food Styling: Paul Grimes
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 463
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Fiber: 9g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Sodium: 1751mg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5-oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 8.5-oz. box corn muffin mix
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Warm oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for 1 minute. Add beef; cook, stirring and breaking it up, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add onion; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir chili powder, cumin, cayenne, if desired, and salt into beef mixture; sauté for 1 minute. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with liquid and 1/4 cup water; stir in beans with liquid. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch baking dish.
- 3. Prepare muffin mix as box label directs. Fold in scallions. Spread muffin batter over beef mixture. Bake until top is golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note