I absolutely love this recipe. I give it to everyone. It's like Chipotle's Beef Barbacoa. but better because you get to tweak the heat and the toppings yourself. The soft corn shells are lower in calories and add such flavor. I use more orange, more red pepper flakes, and top them with sweet red bell peppers, low fat cheese, lots of lettuce, and fresh homemade salsa. I make a double batch, and freeze in portion sized bags. This freezes wonderfully, and is super easy to make! Good bye, Chipotle', and hello to even better beef carnitas tacos!
Beef Carnitas Tacos
These simple tacos are an ideal showcase for tender Beef Carnitas—tender, slowly cooked, inexpensive beef stew meat that won us over for its great flavor and versatility. You can warm the tortillas in a nonstick skillet just until lightly browned.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 235
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 17.6g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 303mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 2 cups chopped plum tomato (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup diced peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups Beef Carnitas
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/4 cup Beef Carnitas onto each tortilla; top each with about 3 tablespoons avocado mixture. Fold in half; serve with lime wedges.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note