Beef, Broccolini, and Bread Salad with Salsa Verde
Robust, briny, and herbaceous, Italian-style salsa verde usually gets spooned over vegetables and meats at the table, but it works beautifully as a marinade too.
More From Sunset
Hands On: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 704
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 49g
- Saturated fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Sodium: 951mg
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- SALSA VERDE
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- STEAK AND SALAD
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless New York strip steaks, fat trimmed
- 1 1/2 pounds broccolini, ends trimmed
- 5 slices (1/2 in. thick, 9 oz. total) pain au levain or other rustic bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 qts. loosely packed watercress sprigs
- 1. Make salsa verde: Whirl garlic and anchovies in a food processor until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until herbs are chopped.
- 2. Prepare steak and salad: Pour about 1/3 cup salsa verde into a medium bowl. Chill remaining salsa verde, covered. Add steaks to bowl, turn to coat, cover, and chill at least 2 and up to 24 hours; let stand at room temperature during last 30 minutes.
- 3. Heat a grill to medium (about 350°). Put broccolini on a rimmed pan and brush with about 1/4 cup reserved salsa verde. Brush bread with oil.
- 4. Grill bread, broccolini, and steak, turning once, until bread is browned and crisp (5 to 8 minutes), broccolini is tender-crisp and tops are lightly charred (about 10 minutes), and steaks are medium-rare (12 to 17 minutes). Transfer to a board as done; tent steaks with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- 5. Cut bread into small chunks and cut broccolini into 2 or 3 pieces on a diagonal. Slice steaks diagonally across the grain about 1/2 in. thick, then cut pieces in half.
- 6. Toss watercress in a large bowl with enough of reserved salsa verde to coat lightly, then transfer to a platter or plates. Toss bread, broccolini, and steak with remaining dressing and arrange over watercress.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This