Beef, Broccolini, and Bread Salad with Salsa Verde
Robust, briny, and herbaceous, Italian-style salsa verde usually gets spooned over vegetables and meats at the table, but it works beautifully as a marinade too.
More From Sunset
Hands On: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 704
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 49g
- Saturated fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Sodium: 951mg
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- SALSA VERDE
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- STEAK AND SALAD
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless New York strip steaks, fat trimmed
- 1 1/2 pounds broccolini, ends trimmed
- 5 slices (1/2 in. thick, 9 oz. total) pain au levain or other rustic bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 qts. loosely packed watercress sprigs
- 1. Make salsa verde: Whirl garlic and anchovies in a food processor until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until herbs are chopped.
- 2. Prepare steak and salad: Pour about 1/3 cup salsa verde into a medium bowl. Chill remaining salsa verde, covered. Add steaks to bowl, turn to coat, cover, and chill at least 2 and up to 24 hours; let stand at room temperature during last 30 minutes.
- 3. Heat a grill to medium (about 350°). Put broccolini on a rimmed pan and brush with about 1/4 cup reserved salsa verde. Brush bread with oil.
- 4. Grill bread, broccolini, and steak, turning once, until bread is browned and crisp (5 to 8 minutes), broccolini is tender-crisp and tops are lightly charred (about 10 minutes), and steaks are medium-rare (12 to 17 minutes). Transfer to a board as done; tent steaks with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- 5. Cut bread into small chunks and cut broccolini into 2 or 3 pieces on a diagonal. Slice steaks diagonally across the grain about 1/2 in. thick, then cut pieces in half.
- 6. Toss watercress in a large bowl with enough of reserved salsa verde to coat lightly, then transfer to a platter or plates. Toss bread, broccolini, and steak with remaining dressing and arrange over watercress.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note