Very good and easy. Took me about two hours though from start (I cut my own mets from a roast) to simmer. So, it would be about 4 Horus total. I didn't think waiting to the next day made a lot of difference in the taste but it was good from the start. I couldn't believe how tender the meat got. I have a slow cooker that has a removable insert that can be used on the stove. I used that insert for browning the meats and veg then moved the insert back to my slow cooker for the simmer part. Turn crock pot on high without lid for the last hour. The first time I made this I didn't add pearl onions but I did add them the second time (a 12 oz bag) and it was nice to have them. May be nice with peas added at the end for color. I also think the dish is more runny than I like, served first time with egg noodles and second time with mashed potatoes. I liked it with the potatoes better.
Beef Bourguignonne with Egg Noodles
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Melanie J. Clarke and Celine Chenoweth
This hearty entrée actually tastes better when made a day in advance. Warm it up in a Dutch oven over medium heat until thoroughly heated, and keep warm in a slow cooker set to low.
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: about 1 cup beef mixture, 3/4 cup noodles, and 1 teaspoon parsley)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 447
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 32.7g
- Carbohydrate: 45.7g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Iron: 6mg
- Sodium: 677mg
- Calcium: 47mg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1/4 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 bacon slices, chopped and divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
- 8 cups halved mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 7 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles (about 6 cups uncooked noodles)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add beef; seal and shake to coat.
- Cook half of bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add half of beef mixture to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan; cover and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining bacon and beef mixture. Remove beef from pan; cover and keep warm.
- Add chopped onion, sliced carrot, and minced garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in red wine and broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add bacon, beef, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, mushrooms, tomato paste, chopped thyme, bay leaves, and pearl onions; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover and cook 1 hour or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve beef mixture over noodles; sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note