Very good dish and so simple! I made just half the recipe and roasted some zucchini and carrots in the oven while baking the potatoes. I also used a good sirloin from our farmer's market in place of the more expensive tenderloin, but otherwise my only change was to substitute herbes de provence for the thyme since thyme can be overwhelming and I wanted a more varied herb note. Can't believe such flavor came about so quickly!
Beef Bourguignonne-Topped Potatoes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 potato and 1 cup topping)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 420
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 54.8g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 6.5mg
- Sodium: 777mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 4 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 (6-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 4 medium shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; arrange in a circle on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at high 16 minutes or until done, rearranging potatoes after 8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, combine beef, flour, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to coat.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture and shallots; stir-fry 5 minutes. Add thyme, garlic, and mushrooms; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add broth and wine; cook 5 minutes or until shallots are tender and sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Split potatoes open with fork; fluff pulp. Spoon beef mixture evenly over potatoes. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes