Yield: 2 1/2 cups
- 2 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 quarts water
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 thick slice onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- Lemon twists (optional)
- Brown meat in oil in a large Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients except lemon twists; mix well, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3 hours. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Line a sieve with several layers of damp cheesecloth. Strain mixture through sieve into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate bouillon overnight. Discard whole peppercorns and cloves. Reserve meat and vegetables for use in other recipes.
- Skim off and discard any fat that has risen to top of bouillon. Clarify bouillon according to procedure.
- Serve bouillon warm or chilled as an appetizer. Garnish each serving with a lemon twist, if desired.
- Note: Bouillon may be used as a foundation for other soups or stews or in other recipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews