Beef, Bacon and Beer Chili
- 4 slices thick cut bacon finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3-4 pounds lean chuck roast cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cans 8 oz tomato sauce
- 12 ounces Shiner Bock Beer
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
How to Make It
In a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat cook bacon, stirring until it just begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion, lower heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 - 7 minutes. Uncover pan, stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute.
Season beef with flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Increase heat to medium-high and add beef. Stir 6 - 8 minutes. Stir in spices and 1 tsp. salt cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef, and Worcestershire and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially, and cook 30 minutes.
If you use beans add them and cook 10 minutes uncovered. Season to taste with additional salt.