Husband and friends loved this! I improvised adding what I had on hand...fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms and the pepper tops to the filling. I will definitely be making variations of this for the family on a regular basis. Enjoy!
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Sodium: 688mg
- 6 medium bell peppers, tops removed and reserved, and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces lean (90 percent) ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add peppers and pepper tops and cook until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove peppers from water and invert to drain fully.
- Make filling: Warm olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add carrot, celery and garlic and continue cooking until vegetables are just softened, 4 minutes longer. Add beef, salt and pepper and cook, breaking up large chunks, until meat is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and rice and cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- Fill peppers with meat mixture, dividing evenly. Sprinkle mixture with remaining cheese and top with pepper lid. Bake until cheese is melted and peppers are heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note