This was good. I added a large onion, a diced zucchini, and a floret of fresh broccoli. I also used a whole box of Ziti (my kids like more pasta than meat). I also left out the bread crumbs and parmesean (and the final step of broiling it). With all those modifications, I'll be making it again. :)
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 554
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Protein: 38g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Sodium: 1mg
- 8 ounces rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (28 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, broken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar (5 oz.)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a bowl, mix bread crumbs and Parmesan; set aside.
- In a 3-quart ovenproof pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add ground beef and cook until beef is well browned, about 7 minutes. Scrape beef into a colander to drain off excess fat. Wipe out pan and return beef to pan; reduce heat to medium.
- Preheat broiler. Stir tomatoes, salt, oregano and pepper into beef and cook for 3 minutes. Add reserved pasta and mix. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to heat pasta. Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar.
- Top pasta with reserved bread-crumb mixture and cook under broiler until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note