Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 5 tablespoon(s) Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 4 cup(s) warm whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt plus more to taste
- 1 pinch(s) white pepper freshly ground
- 1 pinch(s) nutmeg freshely grated
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about two minutes. Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps from forming. Simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick, smooth and creamy, about ten minutes [ do not allow the bechamel sauce to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a pinch each of white pepper and nutmeg. Season the sauce with more salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. [ the sauce can be made up tpo three days ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate.]
This recipe is a personal recipe added by RandyHood and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bechamel Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Sauces/Condiments