These are tasty and satisfying - perfect for Meatless Monday. The Creole mustard sauce really makes the dish. Served with cajun-spiced oven fries and a tomato salad.
Red Beans-and-Rice Veggie Burgers
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 (16-oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup minced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- 6 (1/2-inch-thick) crusty bread slices, toasted
- 1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir in rice. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 2. Mash red kidney beans in a large bowl with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in bell pepper, next 5 ingredients, and cooked rice until well blended. Shape mixture into 6 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
- 3. Cook 3 patties in 1 1/2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.
- 4. Stir together mayonnaise, Creole mustard, green onions, and parsley. Place 1 lettuce leaf on each bread slice; top each with 1 patty and desired amount of mayonnaise mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note