- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
- 9 cups water
- 1 (1-pound) meaty ham bone
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine beans and water in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Add ham bone, onion, salt, and pepper to beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours. Remove ham bone from soup; remove meat from bone, and return meat to soup. Discard bone.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls, and serve immediately with hot cornbread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note