1. Melt butter and oil in a heavy stockpot over medium high heat. Add sausage and break up the meat into a crumble using a metal spatula. Add Carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute 4-6 minutes to soften the vegetables
2. Add Stock, beans and the diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer 15 minutes.
3. Remove lid, increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Add the chopped escarole and boil 5 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a generous helping of Parmesan cheese. Pass hot crusty french bread at the table.
Go to full version of