Bean, sausage & escarole soup
Community Recipe from
- 5 Mild italian style sausage casings removed or 1/2 - 3/4 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic finely minced
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 celery stalks rinsed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 4 can(s) northern white beans drained
- 8 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup(s) diced tomato (one) can
- 2 cup(s) roughly chopped escarole (or mustard or collard greens)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup(s) parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1. Melt butter and oil in a heavy stockpot over medium high heat. Add sausage and break up the meat into a crumble using a metal spatula. Add Carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute 4-6 minutes to soften the vegetables
- 2. Add Stock, beans and the diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove lid, increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Add the chopped escarole and boil 5 minutes.
- 4. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a generous helping of Parmesan cheese. Pass hot crusty french bread at the table.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mbusque and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bean, sausage & escarole soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews
More Recipes for Main Dishes