Bean Ragoût With Cilantro-Cornmeal Dumplings
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup milk
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a large Dutch oven until tender. Add poblano pepper and bell pepper, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and next 4 ingredients; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese and cilantro. Add milk, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into simmering ragoût. Cook 5 minutes. Cover and cook 10 to 15 more minutes or until dumplings are done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note