I just got done making this and it is fabulous! I added a little more garlic just because we love garlic and added three chili peppers and two jalapenos. This one is going into the meatless Monday file.
Black Bean, Hominy, and Kale Stew
Roasting the poblano chiles offers a fast route to deep flavor in this hearty bowl.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 32 Minutes
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 33.3g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 573mg
- Calcium: 210mg
- 2 poblano chiles
- 8 ounces tomatillos, husks removed and halved (about 4)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 jalapeÃ±o, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) bunch kale, tough stems removed, leaves chopped (about 4 packed cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 ounces shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Place poblano chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 7 minutes on each side or until blackened and charred. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes; coarsely chop. Set aside.
- 3. While poblano chiles roast, place the tomatillos in a food processor, and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 4. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cumin; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatillos, broth, and next 4 ingredients (through kale); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add roasted poblanos and hominy; cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Ladle into each of 4 shallow bowls; top evenly with sour cream and cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note