This was delicious! Very filling and flavorful. Hubby was a little resistant as it is a vegetarian soup but he loved it! The hominy and tomatillos really make this dish. Will go into permanent rotation.
Black Bean, Hominy, and Kale Stew
More From Cooking Light
Total: 32 Minutes
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 33.3g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 573mg
- Calcium: 210mg
- 2 poblano chiles
- 8 ounces tomatillos, husks removed and halved (about 4)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) bunch kale, tough stems removed, leaves chopped (about 4 packed cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 ounces shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Place poblano chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 7 minutes on each side or until blackened and charred. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes; coarsely chop. Set aside.
- 3. While poblano chiles roast, place the tomatillos in a food processor, and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 4. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cumin; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatillos, broth, and next 4 ingredients (through kale); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add roasted poblanos and hominy; cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Ladle into each of 4 shallow bowls; top evenly with sour cream and cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note