I didn't have dried beans, so I used 3 cans of different kinds of beans. Thanks to the "Mandivola" review, I added less water (I would've neglected to make the connection between lots of water and raw beans tonight... yawn). I also added a can of diced tomatoes, used cayenne instead of hot sauce, and tipped in a bunch of leftover quinoa and mushrooms at the end of cooking. This recipe is a great starting point for making bean soup... I think adding your own extras is mandatory.
Bean and Barley Soup
This is an especially nutritious soup because barley adds another source of soluble fiber. This recipe quick-soaks the beans, but you can soak the beans overnight, if you wish. Pureeing some of the beans adds extra body to the soup.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 308
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 52.6g
- Fiber: 12.5g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 676mg
- Calcium: 154mg
- 1 cup dried borlotti or pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 9 cups water
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, parsley, celery, carrot, and basil; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add beans, 9 cups water, vegetable broth, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Place 3/4 cup beans and 3/4 cup cooking liquid in a blender; process until smooth. Return pureed bean mixture to pan. Stir in barley, salt, pepper, and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until barley is done. Ladle soup into individual bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note