Simple, easy, cheap. I made this, added 1/4c Parmesan and topped my broccoli with it. I subbed 1% for the whole milk, and I added 3 times the amount of pepper.
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 56
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 2.8g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 92mg
- Calcium: 53mg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1. Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender (do not brown), stirring occasionally. Sprinkle flour over onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth; bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Strain mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl; discard solids.
- 3. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Mornay Sauce: Prepare Béchamel Sauce. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Return Béchamel Sauce to pan, and place over medium-low heat. Add 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, stirring until smooth. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 1/2 cups (serving size: about 2 1/2 tablespoons).
- Calories 67; Fat 5.2g (sat 3.1g, mono 1.4g, poly 0.3g); Protein 2.9g; Carb 2.3g; Fiber 0g; Chol 16mg; Iron 0.1mg; Sodium 92mg; Calc 97mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments