Béchamel (bay-shah-MEHL) is the French term for white sauce.
This recipe goes with Creamed Collards
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add shallots and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- 2. Increase heat to medium. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Note: Mixture can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to two days. Warm sauce over low heat before using.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments