I used 1% milk, but found it didn't get really thick enough, but it worked out well in the lasagna.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 76
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 8.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 72mg
- Cholesterol: 6.9mg
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onion in butter until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add nutmeg and flour; stir until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Remove from heat and whisk in milk and broth. Stir over high heat until boiling; reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, until sauce is reduced to 4 cups, about 10 minutes. Use hot or cold.
- Nutritional analysis per 1/2 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments