Great, quick sandwich and a refreshing diversion to the original BLT. Great for lunch and can use whatever kind of bread is around, but is good at any time, whether it be brunch or a midnight snack, its great.
BBT (Bacon Basil Tomato) Sandwich
Sunset's Red Horizon: A classic tomato--with meaty, heart-shaped fruit as big as grapefruit and sweet, full-bodied flavor--this Russian native has good texture and plenty of rich juice. It made its American debut thanks to Gary Ibsen, founder of California's Carmel TomatoFest, who honored Sunset with its name.
- 1 piece ciabatta bread, split lengthwise (about 3 1/2 by 5 in.)
- 4 to 6 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 to 6 slices firm-ripe Sunset's Red Horizon or similar large tomatoes
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 2 slices crisp-cooked bacon
- Split a piece (about 3 1/2 by 5 in.) of ciabatta bread (or a crusty roll) in half lengthwise. Toast lightly. Spread cut sides generously with mayonnaise. Cover bottom half with 4 to 6 large fresh basil leaves and a thick layer of 4 to 6 slices firm-ripe Sunset's Red Horizon or similar large tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste. Top with 2 slices crisp-cooked bacon. Cap with top half of ciabatta (or top half of roll).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note