Bayou Fried Shrimp
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Leigh Anne Montgomery
More From Southern Living
Stand: 15 Minutes
- 3 pounds unpeeled, large raw shrimp
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 (12-oz.) package fish fry mix
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Vegetable oil
- Remoulade Sauce
- 1. Peel shrimp, leaving tails on. Butterfly shrimp by making a deep slit down back of each from large end to tail, cutting to but not through inside curve of shrimp. Devein shrimp, and place in a large bowl.
- 2. Whisk together milk and next 3 ingredients. Pour mixture over shrimp. Let stand at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- 3. Combine fish fry mix and 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning. Dredge shrimp in fish fry mixture, and shake off excess. Arrange on baking sheets.
- 4. Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 325º. Fry shrimp, in batches, 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on wire racks over paper towels.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Zatarain's Wonderful Fish-Fri and Walker & Sons Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note