Battered Catfish and Chips
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) catfish fillets
- Malt vinegar
- Cut potatoes into paper-thin slices. Combine potato and water to cover in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Add beer, whisking until smooth. Cover and chill 1 hour, if desired.
- Drain potato well. Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a heavy skillet; heat to 375°. Fry potato, in 4 batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle fish with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dip fish in batter; carefully add to skillet, and fry, 2 fillets at a time, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve with chips and malt vinegar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes