Basque Vegetable Soup
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 8 cup(s) water
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 3/4 pound(s) fresh Polish sausage links
- 2 cup(s) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup(s) shredded cabbage
- 1 15-ounce can(s) tomato sauce
- • In Dutch oven, slowly bring chicken and water to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- • Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to Dutch oven. Add the leeks, carrots, turnip, onion, potato, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- • In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
- • Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; add to the Dutch oven. Add the beans, cabbage and cooked sausage. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce; heat through. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note