Basmati Rice and Pigeon Peas
Popcorn-scented basmati is a flavorful alternative to long-grain rice. You can find it on the same aisle as regular rice.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 (15-oz.) can green pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1. Bring broth, butter, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Stir in rice; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat, and stir in peas and zest using a fork. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with onions.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Mahatma Basmati Rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note