Basmati Rice Dressing with Dried Fruit, Toasted Almonds, and Coconut
A longtime maker of traditional Indian pilafs, Lynn Lloyd wanted to create a special one a couple of years ago. Notes: You can prepare this dressing through step 4 up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. To reheat, let dressing stand at room temperature for 1 hour, then bake, covered, in a 350° oven until hot, about 1 hour. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 481
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 8.9g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 514mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup dried unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a 2- to 2 1/2-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 1/2 cups water and the rice to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine dried apricots and cranberries. Cover with boiling water and let stand until fruit is plump, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- 3. Place coconut and almonds in two separate 10- by 15-inch baking pans. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes for coconut, 8 to 10 minutes for almonds.
- 4. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and red and green bell peppers; stir until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cardamom, orange peel, lime peel, and cinnamon; stir just until spices are aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked rice, dried fruit, almonds, and coconut. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish and cover with foil.
- 5. Bake until hot in the center, about 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note