Basmati Rice Dressing with Dried Fruit, Toasted Almonds, and Coconut
A longtime maker of traditional Indian pilafs, Lynn Lloyd wanted to create a special one a couple of years ago. Notes: You can prepare this dressing through step 4 up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. To reheat, let dressing stand at room temperature for 1 hour, then bake, covered, in a 350° oven until hot, about 1 hour. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 481
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 8.9g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 514mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup dried unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a 2- to 2 1/2-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 1/2 cups water and the rice to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine dried apricots and cranberries. Cover with boiling water and let stand until fruit is plump, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- 3. Place coconut and almonds in two separate 10- by 15-inch baking pans. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes for coconut, 8 to 10 minutes for almonds.
- 4. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and red and green bell peppers; stir until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cardamom, orange peel, lime peel, and cinnamon; stir just until spices are aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked rice, dried fruit, almonds, and coconut. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish and cover with foil.
- 5. Bake until hot in the center, about 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Basmati Rice Dressing with Dried Fruit, Toasted Almonds, and Coconut Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables