1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a 2- to 2 1/2-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 1/2 cups water and the rice to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine dried apricots and cranberries. Cover with boiling water and let stand until fruit is plump, about 15 minutes. Drain.
3. Place coconut and almonds in two separate 10- by 15-inch baking pans. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes for coconut, 8 to 10 minutes for almonds.
4. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and red and green bell peppers; stir until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cardamom, orange peel, lime peel, and cinnamon; stir just until spices are aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked rice, dried fruit, almonds, and coconut. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish and cover with foil.
5. Bake until hot in the center, about 30 minutes.