Photo: Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon ghee (Indian-style clarified butter) or unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Rinse rice in a colander to remove starch. Pour into a wide heavy pot. "Rice needs room to expand, otherwise it can be goopy and sticky," says Dhalwala. Pour in 2 2/3 cups cold water and let soak 20 minutes.
- 2. Bring rice and its soaking water to a vigorous boil, uncovered. Add ghee and salt. Stir rice and reduce heat to low. Let simmer 5 minutes, partly covered: "If you cover it completely now, the starches will bubble over and make a mess of your stove and pot," Dhalwala says.
- 3. Cover and let simmer 7 minutes more, then remove from heat and let steam, covered, 8 minutes.
- 4. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables