Very good. Served with "Braised Lamb with Butternut Squash and Dried Fruit" recipe, which was fabulous!
Basmati Pilaf with Vermicelli and Onions
This is a version of arroz con fidellos (rice with pasta). Fidellos is a thin Sephardic pasta similar to angel hair or vermicelli.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 140
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 25.2g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 289mg
- Calcium: 10mg
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped Rio or other sweet onion
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3/4 cup (2 ounces) uncooked vermicelli, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 3/4 cup sweet onion; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add basmati rice and pasta; cook 2 minutes or until rice is opaque, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken broth, salt, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 350º for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand 15 minutes. Uncover; stir in parsley and green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables