Very good and I made it with the exact ingredients written and served with ham sandwiches. I did make a change in the prep as I use a hand held blender so blended everything all at one time in the large pot. Will try some if the suggested toppings next time but the okra was delicious. .
Basil Tomato Soup
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontazs; Styling: Buffy Hargett
A tastier take on a creamy classic, this recipe takes tomato soup to the next level with fried okra and fresh basil.
Yield: Makes 15 cups
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 (35-oz.) cans Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes with basil
- 1 (32-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen breaded cut okra
- 1. Sauté onions in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 9 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth.
- 2. Process basil, next 4 ingredients, 1/4 cup water, and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Stir basil mixture, sugar, and pepper into soup. Cook 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook okra according to package directions. Serve with soup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note