- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 (35-oz.) cans Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes with basil
- 1 (32-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen breaded cut okra
How to Make It
Sauté onions in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 9 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth.
Process basil, next 4 ingredients, 1/4 cup water, and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Stir basil mixture, sugar, and pepper into soup. Cook 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Meanwhile, cook okra according to package directions. Serve with soup.