Really liked it. The ricotta added a nice flavor. I did add more mozzarella and Parmesan than the recipe called for (hey I love cheese). The sauce was good, but even my husband thought the spice was a little overpowering. Next time I'll halve the red pepper.
Basil and Three-Cheese Thin-Crust Pizza
Inspired by the original Margherita pizza from Naples, this version features a spicy red sauce, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, and a sprinkling of fresh basil. Use a gentle hand while rolling this thin crust. If the dough tears, just gather it into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rest for 10 minutes before re-rolling. Place the dough in the refrigerator for its first rise to ensure the crust stays thin.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 15.7g
- Carbohydrate: 45.7g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Calcium: 283mg
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Remaining ingredients:
- Spicy Pizza Sauce
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- To prepare dough, dissolve honey and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel slightly sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Position one oven rack in the middle setting. Position another rack in the lowest setting, and place a rimless baking sheet on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 500°.
- Roll dough into a 13-inch circle (about 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a rimless baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Brush oil over dough. Remove preheated baking sheet from oven; close oven door. Slide dough onto preheated baking sheet, using a spatula as a guide. Bake on lowest oven rack at 500° for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread Spicy Pizza Sauce in an even layer over crust, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Combine mozzarella and ricotta; sprinkle evenly over sauce. Top with Parmesan. Bake on middle rack an additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Sprinkle with basil. Cut into 8 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note