I made these all last summer and now that the days are getting longer and warmer - I can't wait to whip up another batch. These were a hit with all my guests and I gave out the recipe each and every time.
Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large bunch basil, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons gin
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Basil sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- 1. Make basil syrup: In a large microwave-safe measuring cup, combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, and basil.
- 2. Microwave on high until sugar dissolves, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3. Let basil steep in syrup 20 to 30 minutes, then strain (you'll have enough syrup for 4 drinks).
- 4. Fill 2 highball glasses with ice. Into each glass, pour 3 tbsp. gin, 4 tbsp. basil syrup, and 2 tbsp. lime juice. Stir and serve, garnished with basil sprigs.
- Tip: Add lemon juice and chilled water to the leftover syrup and serve over ice for basil lemonade.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note