Very good recipe. Hubby loves it and said he could eat this, at least, once a week. Wants me to make it on our vacation coming up. Served with garlic toast. Only fixed 2 large chicken breasts so panned down inqredients but have enough for another meal. Also, served over spaghetti noodles. Will definitely put this in our rotation.
Basil Chicken Parmigiana
Open a bag of prewashed mixed salad greens, and top with sliced grape or cherry tomatoes, red onion slices, and a drizzle of light balsamic vinaigrette for a zesty accompaniment.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
- Calories: 337
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 33.8g
- Carbohydrate: 33.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 732mg
- Calcium: 364mg
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat rotini
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (26-ounce) jar low-fat pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. Drain and keep warm.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine 2/3 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg substitute, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Brown chicken, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, 1 to 2 minutes on each side; remove chicken from skillet.
- Stir together pasta sauce and basil; spoon half of sauce into an 11- x 7- inch baking dish. Arrange chicken in an even layer over sauce; pour remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly around edges. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve chicken over hot cooked pasta.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note