Very good recipe. Hubby loves it and said he could eat this, at least, once a week. Wants me to make it on our vacation coming up. Served with garlic toast. Only fixed 2 large chicken breasts so panned down inqredients but have enough for another meal. Also, served over spaghetti noodles. Will definitely put this in our rotation.
Basil Chicken Parmigiana
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 337
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 33.8g
- Carbohydrate: 33.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 732mg
- Calcium: 364mg
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat rotini
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (26-ounce) jar low-fat pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. Drain and keep warm.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine 2/3 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg substitute, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Brown chicken, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, 1 to 2 minutes on each side; remove chicken from skillet.
- Stir together pasta sauce and basil; spoon half of sauce into an 11- x 7- inch baking dish. Arrange chicken in an even layer over sauce; pour remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly around edges. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve chicken over hot cooked pasta.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes