- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat rotini
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (26-ounce) jar low-fat pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- calories 337
- caloriesfromfat 21 %
- fat 8 g
- satfat 2.9 g
- monofat 2.2 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 33.8 g
- carbohydrate 33.2 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 61 mg
- iron 2.8 mg
- sodium 732 mg
- calcium 364 mg
How to Make It
Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. Drain and keep warm.
Cut each chicken breast into 2 pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
Combine 2/3 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg substitute, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
Brown chicken, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, 1 to 2 minutes on each side; remove chicken from skillet.
Stir together pasta sauce and basil; spoon half of sauce into an 11- x 7- inch baking dish. Arrange chicken in an even layer over sauce; pour remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly around edges. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve chicken over hot cooked pasta.